Kruisstraat - Kreuzstrasse.

These two remaining craters are on the Crossroads Corner with the Wulvergem Street, about 2km. Southwest of Wijtschate at an altitude. Originally there were three.

Short History

In December 1915, the 250th Tunnelling Company started with the excavations, after which it was taken over by the 182nd Tunnelling Company, the 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Company, the 171th Tunneling Company and the 171st Tunnelling Company.

The work went smoothly despite German gas attacks and on June 12, 1916, the first 2 mining loads were placed. Work was done for a third mining load, which could be placed at the end of August 1916. The gallery was 660 meters long, while the Germans did not stop.

So they succeeded in bringing out a load of 70 meters from their Ferdinand system on 19 and 29 February 1917, blasting three loads, causing the load chamber of load 1 to run under water and the Tunnellers were forced to provide an additional Excavate space where the fourth load was placed.

On May 9, 1917, the 4 mines with a total of 50,000kg explosives were put in place. These caused on 7 June 1917 three craters, the first crater caused by the 1st and 4th cargo had a diameter of 71.6 meters and A depth of 10.4 meters, the second a diameter of 66.1 meters and a depth of 12.2 meters and the third a diameter of 61.6 meters and a depth of 9.1 meters.

One crater was thrown in September 1972.

Sources: The Forgotten War Under The Bedouin of Bostijn Franky - The Lampaert Roger Mine War in Flanders.

The left crater is the smallest of the two remaining

The right crater is the largest of the two remaining

At the top of the fote the smallest crater

The right mining crater

View of Wytschate church

View of Messines church